Wednesday 29 July 2015

10 Kilometer Starter

That is the 10K complete. After starting this mission at the beginning of the year I can now say im more than half way through. 

The second of three races took place at Rother Valley in Sheffield, the weather was cool with some torrential rain during the warm up. But that didn't put a dampener on any one of the hundreds of women ready to battle for cancer awareness. This is the furthest I have ever run for charity and during a race in general, I love taking part in Race for Life for the sole reason that there is no pressure to finish within a set time. This was the main reason for me deciding to take them up on the challenge of running a half marathon.  

The 10K seemed daunting at the start line and learning from my previous mistake of starting at the front of the joggers and the back of the runners and getting stuck behind an awful lot of people, I decided to start at the front. Maybe not quiet toe touching the start line front but close enough not to get caught up in any back log. 

I quickly learned to accept that due to there being a 5K race running along side us that there would be people passing me at a quicker pace as they had a lesser distance to cover. When us running the 10K eventually split off at 2.5K I settled into my own pace to cover the remainder of the race and found it quiet a nice run if im honest. Although the marshals along route left alot to be desired due to there lack of encouragement, there was enough people and well wishers to get me through. At kilometer 8 I finally realised I did have it in me to finish the race in a half decent time and managed to cross the line in 1 hour and 7 seconds. This for me was a whole 10 minutes faster than any previous time id made during practice, to say I was happy was an understatement. 

However with every good story always seems to come a bad one for me, and this included injuring my knee hours after the race and realising that my road training had not prepared me for the off-road terrain that we had been put through during the 10K. So for the next 3-4 days I was out and had to accept it. But don't be fooled into thinking this is me giving up, because you would be wrong. The only thing ive gained from a dodgy knee injury is more faith and encouragement that I will give the half marathon my best shot, even if I have to walk some of the distance.

I think that with any sport you only have to believe in yourself and your mind will do the rest for you.

StandTogether|FinishTogether
Kylie
x

No comments:

Post a Comment