Tuesday 7 July 2015

Playing life like Monopoly

Recently I have been reevaluating life and to be quiet honest it feels like im playing at it like a game of monopoly. 
The main reason behind this post is actually a TV programme, I have seen numerous people since watching this programme and explained to them why its affected me. I'm not sure I can write my explanation but I shall give it a good try. 

Last Thursday whilst wandering through my parents house, my mum was watching the new series called Super hospital. Basically for those that haven't seen or heard of it, its a documentary based at Derby General Hospital giving behind the scenes access on the running of the hospital as well as insights as to what its like to work there. Anyway they also covered a few stories of some of the patients which included a lovely gentleman called Glynn who was brought in with a tumor on his lung. Such a loving and characteristic young man at the age of 45, He was put through radiotherapy to try and help kill the tumor. As the show progressed unfortunately so did the sadness of Glynn's story as doctors revealed the Radiotherapy hadn't worked and there was nothing that they could do, giving him months to live. Only six days later Glynn passed away at the age of 45, married with children and with no hope left. The program knocked me alot, I can sit in a room and know that every single person pretty much shares the same outlook on life. We wait. Wait for something that makes us realise how short life can be, the phrase "I'm going to do everything I've ever wanted to do" seems to be the most used phrase after a bad diagnosis. Be it swim with dolphins, go to Disneyland etc. BUT. and this is my current issue with life, why do we wait? why should we wait? who says we cant do everything we've ever wanted to do NOW. Society tells us we should go to school, go to university or college or even both, get a job, buy a house, get married or such like and have a family. But is this really all there is? what about the "live your life like every day is your last" motto? Im struggling to prioritize my life at 26. I want to live it, I want to visit places I've never been before, dine at places I've never even heard off and enjoy it to the max but how can I do this when life tells me I should be saving for a house and moving out from my parents house. Does all that really matter? I compare it to the game of monopoly because in monopoly I think there are two types of players, those who save there money and don't buy any property and then there those that buy every property on the board and go from there. So which am I? why do I feel the question should be more.. which should I be? 

I know in my life I've seen a lot of places that not everyone has and im lucky in the fact that my parents aren't exactly pushing me out of the front door. But we all know that saving for a house has to happen at some point, my only question is should that be now? Or should we enjoy life whilst were still young and say screw you society im living this life whilst I have the chance?

Wondering what other people think? Help me out here?..

StandTogether|FinishTogether
Kylie 
x







1 comment:

  1. We all tend to lead a materialistic lifestyle, which makes us believe that we need these things in life. But what happens when we die? we no longer have need for those possessions!

    I think we should take risks in life, do the things we've only dreamed of doing. Say yes to everything, go a little crazy, so when you get old and look back on your life you can say "yes, I've lived a good and fulfilling life.

    On the other hand, we could just sit inside, watching the world go buy and thinking "What if?"

    The choice is ours. Carpe Diem :)

    ReplyDelete